This is a “do it yourself” project. I went to a local “Military Surplus store” and I came across with this jacket. It caught my attention because it’s camo pattern, which I haven’t seen before.
“The Great Oracle” (Google), later told me that camouflage it’s called: “Disruptive Pattern Material (DPM) is the commonly used name of a camouflage pattern used by the British Armed Forces as well many other armies worldwide, particularly in former British colonies.”
Is not my intention to disrespect any british person or any “DPM Camo fan” out there, for that matter. But even when I did like the jacket, the default colors were “too bright – flashy” for my personal taste. So, I wanted to give it a “darker tone to it” and I dyed the fabric.
Olive green (or at least dark green) was my color of choice for this idea. Black dye would be too extreme for it. But since I couldn’t find olive green dye, I had to mix yellow dye with a small portion of black dye. In top left corner of the photo (above), you can see a napkin tinted with green. I used for testing the color.
Nope… It’s not homemade stout beer! (I wish it was) It’s the jacket submerged on dye in the middle of the process. The instructions of the dye kit calls a process of 30 minutes. Since I didn’t want the jacket turn out extremely dark, instead I just dyed it for 15 minutes.
This is the result. All the colors got smoothly darker tones after the dye. The whole process gave evenly colors to the jacket. The “bright green” is now similar to olive green and the beige color is now a nice tone of sand.
If you search online, there is a lot of cool patterns of camouflage that you could use to dye and get original colors.
Give it a try!